Monday, January 11, 2010

Future Trophy Wife

A few summers ago I was wandering through a beach shop and came across a trinket I wanted my husband, then fiancĂ©, to buy me. It was a keychain, or drink coozie, or bookmark, or something emblazoned with “Future Trophy Wife”. I knew right then and there that that was my goal and I wanted the pretty thing to remind me of my new mantra.

And I know that sounds sort of pitiful, but it truly is my goal. It’s not that I don’t think I’m an excellent catch. I’m smart, kind, funny, clever, charming, hard-working, a great cook and baker. Some days I even think I’m pretty. Oh, and did I mention modest? I’m definitely modest. But I’m not the type of girl that the average person on the street would give a second glance.

I remember some years ago, at a bar with my cousin and his wife, this drunk guy came stumbling across the room to ask her to dance. She sort of indicated my cousin, who had already intimidated the bouncer to get me in (I may have been slightly underage at the time) and said, “no, but thank you”. The drunk then staggered to my cousin and pulled back his fist. His friends starting yelling at him to stop and my cousin braced to be hit, but instead the guy shook his hand and said, “Man, she’s amazing” and walked away. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have no desire be treated as an object or a possession. But knowing someone had said that about me – well it would certainly cheer me up on days when I was down.

When we first moved to Wyoming, I let my fitness and eating habits slip. I was depressed and lonely and the one thing I could do that made me less homesick was eat the things that reminded me of home. But then I figured out that being lonely and homesick AND out of shape wasn’t any better than just lonely and homesick. So this year, it stops.

I started the couch to 5k training program this fall. I didn’t quite finish it before going home for Christmas, but I did get to the point where I could run for 20 minutes straight (huge milestone for me, by the way). I’m going to get back to it and then make running a 5k a regular part of my routine. I want to then train for a 10k, a 10 miler, and a half marathon. I want to start bike-riding again. And if you read my previous post, you know I’m excited about the veggies and healthy eating. I’m excited and I’m ready. I’m also motivated by a couple of family weddings coming up in the spring. I AM a future trophy wife.

It has occurred to me though, since spotting that little thing that I was probably not the intended audience for it. I can’t imagine that the maker was trying to be inspirational to women who needed a little push into a healthier lifestyle. I actually suspect it was meant for tweens and teenagers to suggest or advertise their future “career”. And that sort of sickens me. I really hope I’m wrong about that. Regardless, I’m still grateful for the inspiration it gave me.

No comments:

Post a Comment