Friday, April 29, 2011

Catch-Up

I have things to say, but I feel like I have to play a bit of quick catch up before I can.  So without further ado...

Running the 10K is off.  Mainly because our friend who wanted us to run hurt his back and can't run (although, thankfully, he's getting better).  I had already resigned myself to walking most of it though because...

The running thing was going very well.  Was.  I was packing on the distance and about a month in my right foot started hurting all the time, regardless of whether it was bearing weight or not.  So I went to see my friendly base PA and it turns out I have a rather large bunion that has appeared from nowhere. I say out of nowhere because my foot shape isn't exactly condusive to having bunions, but yet there it is.  Unfortunately there aren't a lot of solutions.  I can have inserts made to prevent it from getting worse and hopefully allow it to improve.  Tricare won't cover this option because I'm a dependent. They run about $1000, which wouldn't be so bad, but my PA had them and they weren't helping her.  The other option is surgery.  That is covered by Tricare, but there's a 3 month recovery period and I just don't they're bad enough for that yet.

She did suggest that I get fitted for new shoes.  And she's right, my running shoes have become loose and don't fit me properly anymore (I do this weird thing and lose significant amounts of weight in my feet, changing their size - from middle school to high school I went from a shoe size of 11 to 8).  In fact, none of my shoes fit right now - they're all too big.  But my feet don't seem to be done shrinking yet and I can't just keep buying shoes. So for now I'm not running and doing other things instead.  On a positive note, the fitness folks on base will do a free stride analysis for me and recommend shoes, so I'm definitely going for that when the feet decide they're done.

In happier news, I've lost almost 20 lbs since mid-January.  I'm doing the Weight Watchers thing and it's going well so far.  I've lost weight faster in the past, but I'm doing this in such a way that I'm not miserable and frankly I think that's more important.

It's still snowing here - probably will for another few weeks.  I mean it's not coming down constantly or anything - it generally snows at night and melts in the morning.  But seriously, I want spring.  Please. 

My folks came out to visit a few weeks ago.  It was awesome and I'll probably talk about it more later.  My mother-in-law is coming out in two more weeks.  It's nice to have visitors. 

We've also spent the winter months making things and I'll do a post on that soon too.  Maybe a few.  Complete with pictures.  Excited, yet?

And I think that does it for catch up.  More coming soon.  I think.

1 comment: